Saturday, June 2, 2012

Billy Cooper's Awesome Nightmare!

It is finally out!  I am so excited about this story as it is the first story in The Wickware Sagas!


Billy Cooper’s seventh grade class has been given a last minute, weekend assignment.  They must all draw a piece of paper out of a box and do an oral book report on the person or event that was drawn.  Billy draws the name, William Tel, whoever that is.
            He has a full weekend planned, but figures he will do a ten minute search and will be able to skate through the assignment, still having plenty of time for his busy weekend.

            His outlook changes when he finds himself in the fourteenth century, standing in front of William Tell’s house.  Billy’s twentieth century style and lingo has William Tell thinking the lad a little unbalanced, but asks him if he would like to go along with him and his son to the town of Altdorf.  It is here; Billy learns just who William Tell is and why he is a legend.



Excerpt

Billy jumped up, took two steps backward and fell hard on his back from about four feet up, knocking the wind out of him.  He was seeing blue sky and rolling green hills.  An old, two-wheeled wagon was what he had fallen out of.
The old man hurried over.  “You alright, lad?”
Billy jumped to his feet before the old man could help him up.  “Who…who….who are you?  Where am I?” Billy stuttered, panic shooting through his body.
“Easy lad,” the old man said.  “I was to bring you here.”
“Bring me where?  Who said to bring me?  Who?  This is crazy!  I’m not supposed to be here!”  Billy’s voice got louder.
The man pulled out a satchel of coins, smiling.  “Your mother paid me well to bring you to your aunt in Uri.”
“Uri?”  Billy asked.  “Dude, there’s no Uri in Arizona, I don’t think, and my aunt lives in Cottonwood.”
“Jonathan is my name, lad, not Dude.”  The old man reached for Billy’s head.  “Maybe when you fell you became…addled in your thinking.”
“I did not become…whatever.  You’ve kidnapped me!  I want to go home!” 




No comments:

Post a Comment